Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Patience is Thin: Body is Not





Well, the day isn’t done yet, so I have still to exercise and meditate in the bathtub.  I’ve been mindful of the “two ears one mouth” phenomena and have done a pretty good job of shutting up and listening; my complaints have been mostly muttered rather than yelled at through a blow horn.  I guess I’m on the right track.

Prior to the Christmas season I’d been following Weight Watchers to take off a bit of the excess poundage I’ve put on over the years, so I’m back on track today with tracking my food and eating more foods that grown in the ground and fewer that are comprised of butter and sugar.

It is, and always will be, my goal to have enough points left at the end of the day to have a big bowl of popcorn.  It’s an indulgence I won’t give up, no matter what other sacrifices I have to make!

In addition to loving goals, I love to make lists. Sometimes I even write down tasks I’ve completed just so I can have the satisfaction of running my pencil through the words and striking then down.  I just love to write things down and then cross them off.  It makes me feel so accomplished.

For years now, I’ve been an avid fan of my “at a glance” calendar. After work today, I rushed to Festival Walk, a local mall in Hong Kong, where I bought my calendar last year. 

It’s already January 3rd and I’m three days late in my list-making; it’s had me itchy with desire to list and cross off.  The one advantage of getting a planner late is the discounted price, but it wasn’t worth it for all the anxiety it has caused me not being able to compulsively list-make in the season of new beginnings. 

After a challenging commute and getting lost in the tangle of floors and escalators, I find the store no longer stocks “at a glance” calendars.  Neither does any other place in the mall.  Grumpiness ensues.  I get home.  Children frolic.  Children make noise.  A lot of noise.  Grumpiness worsens.  Stories are read.  Kisses are given.  All is forgiven.

Now I need to get back to making my lists.  On the computer.  It will have to do.

(Still)To Do:

  1. Walk and do some weights
  2. Write
  3. Meditate in the tub (and maybe clean up a little too)
  4. Eat popcorn
  5. Review all I have to be grateful for
  6. Order a calendar 
To paraphrase my friend and colleague Annette: “My only resolution is to be happy every day.”  What could be better than that?

2 comments:

  1. I like crossing stuff off of lists, as well:) Totally get the love of calendars. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to wonder if it's my downfall, though! Other non-lister makers seem a lot more chill than I am...hmmm.

    Thanks, though! Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete